God Our Intimate Friend

Job 26:14 (New International Version)
14 And these are but the outer fringe of his works; how faint the whisper we hear of him! Who then can understand the thunder of his power?"

Deuteronomy 29:29 (New International Version)
29 The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.

John 15:15 (New International Version)
15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

This morning God reminds me through these verses that he longs to share his secrets with us, to delight us with insights like a friend who pulls out of their pocket some hidden treasure. All we have to do is slow down long enough to listen; he is always there.

God’s word reveals a Creator who longs to enter into intimate relationship with his creation. He reveals himself as a passionate and jealous lover who will tolerate no rival for his affections; he is the tender father who joys over us with singing; but how I love knowing that he wants to be my friend, and that he is the revealer of secrets. There are depths of beauty and mystery to be plumbed in his word and there is no end to them.

Prayer: Lord, I laugh with joy and wonder at the thought that you would want to be my friend. How gratefully I receive this gift. I can never be as faithful a friend to you as you are to me, but my heart wants to be. Dear friend Jesus, how I love you.

John 14:15-17 (New International Version)
15"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family