All That Really Matters

Jeremiah 9:23-24 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

23 This is what the LORD says:
"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom
or the strong man boast of his strength
or the rich man boast of his riches,

24 but let him who boasts boast about this:
that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,"
declares the LORD.


Our church family lost a part of its heart a couple of weeks ago.


Yesterday I drove a car packed with sandwiches, squares and salad, along the seventh line from Bond Head to Tottenham under a clear blue sky and bright sun. I marveled at the beauty of the colours I passed en route to the church. The leaves that remained on the trees outdid themselves in brilliant clear yellows, lime green-yellows, golds, reds, pink-reds and browns. The trees looked like ladies that had stood in a gale force wind and done their best unsuccessfully to hang onto pieces of clothing as hats and scarves blew off!

As the wheels of my car scrunched onto the church parking lot I saw the sign: "Bob Jurgens Memorial Service, 1:00 pm Oct. 7th." It seemed unreal to see his name on the sign; as though a movie plot had gone badly wrong.

Inside, the smell of fresh brewed coffee wafted up the stairs and the church was humming with activity as it had been for the past 24 hours, preparing for the large crowd that was expected. It wasn't long before the place began to fill. Before the service started at least 350 people filled the little church. Every available seat was taken, and seats overflowed into the foyer and hallways. Many people stood for the hour and a half as Bob's family honoured his memory in words and song. Many rich and famous men might envy the heritage of friendship, love, dignity of character and courage that this man left behind. He also left us with a longing to get our lives as right as he did with God first, family second, and the rest of the world following close behind.

When it's all been said and done
There is just one thing that matters
Did I do my best to live for truth
Did I live my life for You
When it's all been said and done
All my treasures will mean nothing
Only what I've done for love's Reward
Will stand the test of time

From the song, "When It's All Said And Done," by Robin Mark.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family