Paintbox Day

I drove to Collingwood on Thursday morning and it looked as though God had dabbed the almost empty tree branches with a paintbrush loaded with every brilliant colour in the box.

The rough textured bark of some trees I passed, was softened by green velvet moss, and golden, leaf layered forest floors lay dappled with sunlight under a giddily deep blue sky.

Before heading home in late afternoon, I stopped at a fruit stand. Ontario had been surprised by snow during the day and as I stepped from my warm car into air that suddenly held winter's bite, my body tensed at the cold and I shivered, hunkering down into my coat. I left with autumn's bounty-- in my trunk a bushel of sweetly fragrant Courtland apples--and in my hand a soft green and pink, sweet ambrosia apple to munch on the journey.

A big grey cloud hung in the sky, full of more snow and starting to sprinkle its contents, like a pillowcase scattering downy feathers over the landscape. Trees of dark spinach green, cadmium yellow, and orange, looked as if they'd been dusted with icing sugar. A gossamer veil of snow drifted over the more distant landscape softening and silvering the colours that had been so brilliant at the start of the day.

A simple day, here and gone--a paintbox day-- and if heaven is more beautiful than this, then I can only gasp in anticipation!

Psalm 147:15-17 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
15 He sends his command to the earth,
his word runs swiftly.
16 He spreads the snow like wool
and scatters the frost like ashes.
17 He hurls down his hail like pebbles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family