Fruit

Galatians 6:9 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Yesterday I went out into the misty November day for a walk. Once out, I realized that it was gently raining, but I was committed--my body is seizing up with lack of exercise so there was to be no turning back. I decided on a short walk, but was stunned at the unexpected beauty I encountered on every hand.

The air smelled fresh and of the rain soaked earth. I noticed a Scotch Pine, each needle bearing a single droplet of water on its point, not frozen as they will be soon, but held suspended by some law of physics.

The ends of the blades of grass on the banks of a small, fast flowing rivulet, streamed in the direction of the current as if they longed to follow the merry water's flow, but the blades remained firmly rooted in place.

Black-eyed Susan flowers bowed their bedraggled heads, looking like ladies caught washing their hair in a sink and everywhere--glorious, gaudy colours, brilliant in their contrast with the gray day--garnet, yellow, lime green and gold.

Brownish black orbs, the fruit of a Black Walnut tree, lay broken open and emptied by pillaging squirrels. And a Mountain Ash stood, bare arms to heaven, surrounded by her scattered red fruit as though making a sacrifice of her children to God.

I wished I'd had my camera on the walk and when I got home I called the camera store to see whether the lens I'd ordered long weeks ago, had come in. I said that the day had been so beautiful I regretted not having it. The salesperson absentmindedly sympathized, "Yes," she said, and then "No--wait--it's not a nice day!" I tried to describe the glory, so that she would understand.

Prayer: Lord, through the rhythms of the earth you speak to me. The trees make no effort in order to produce their fruit; they simply put down deep roots, and be what they are. You take care of the rest. I pray that I may be as fruitful as they, simply by being what you made me and having deep roots in you.

Genesis 8:22 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
22 "As long as the earth endures,
seedtime and harvest,
cold and heat,
summer and winter,
day and night
will never cease."

Comments

Richard Bowers said…
Hi Belinda,
Sorry to see you've given up on my advice to include some links. Just to let you know that I've put your link on my blog for what it's worth. As well, tell Brenda that she has way too much personal information on her profile. The enemies of the cross are very, very real. Just ask Theo Van Gogh. Oh wait, never mind. He was killed by an adherent of that 'religion of peace' we all love to hear about. See what I mean? Take your personal security seriously. I know I do. JC
Belinda said…
Um, I haven't given up on putting links on the site. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Technicalities such as that require a high degree of focused energy and concentration for me. I've saved your instructions and appreciated them!
Anonymous said…
Great imagery! Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I think on a gloomy day how hard it is to see beauty in it, and I let it get me down....but then I wonder if sometimes God finds it hard to see beauty in me when my life has left nothing but a haze of greyness and heavy air all around me. Sometimes it helps me re-focus. Thanks for your words today.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family