The Christmas Menorah

John 1:9 (New Living Translation)
9 The one who is the true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.

As Christmas drew near this year, Frances, one of my friends, announced that she had my gift--and that she had traveled "all the way" to Thornhill, to find it. She couldn't wait until Christmas Eve, when we'd be at her house after the Christmas Eve service, and I could open it. I was excited, and curious too, wondering what the mysterious gift could be.

It was a long and narrow package and well taped together, but as I pulled away at the layers of tissue, I was as mystified as ever. Whatever it was I couldn't tell until it emerged from its tissue cocoon. It was a Jewish candlestick--a menorah. It was a most unusual one--made of fine black painted metal, with the service candle holder in the centre, and with four candle holders on either side in the middle of little chairs that swiveled. She said she chose it because my house is a "house of chairs."

The menorah, symbolizing the defying of darkness by light, was a wonderful Christmas gift, although it's really an intrinsic part of the Jewish celebration of Chanukah. Frances had gone to a Jewish store and carefully chosen it, trying to explain to the puzzled salesman, why she wanted to give a menorah as a Christmas present.

Along with the menorah came a little booklet explaining the story and celebration of Chanukah, and instructions for prayers to be read and points to discuss as the candles are lit over the eight days of Chanukah.

Although written for Jewish readers and with wonderful whimsical humour, as a Christian I was blessed by and learned from this little book--seeing in the words a deeper meaning than the writer might have imagined.

I've learned that a "mitzvah" is "a divinely beautiful deed." Lighting the candles symbolizes adding more light to the world, adding mitzvahs to your life--not underestimating the power of light. What a beautiful thought.

The booklet says that for a mitzvah, only the best will do. This reminds me not to give God or others a second best gift, only the best that I can do or give of myself or my resources.

In the historic event from which Chanukah stems, a tiny flask of oil, enough for one nights light, was found hidden beneath a floor in the temple in Jerusalem that had been ransacked by the Greeks--however the oil miraculously lasted for eight days.

The lessons from this story were too good not to share:

If something seems impossible, perhaps try a little faith and God may provide a miracle; and--sometimes miracles are hiding under your feet, waiting for you to recognize them.

And lets all add many mitzvahs to our lives!

1 John 1:5 (New International Version)
5This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

Comments

Hey, Belinda, I first heard the word 'mitzvah' from Sol Gordon when he was giving a lecture at a conference that I was also speaking at. He was talking about the importance of doing mitzvahs, as they brought light into the world but also lit up your own heart. Sol was an amazing man and I'd love to share more Sol stories with you over a cup of green tea!

Dave
Belinda said…
I am always up for tea and stories! Name the time--I know the place.
Anonymous said…
ransacked by the GREEKS, what year was it. i thought the romans did all the ransacking!
Leann said…
Hi I enjoyed your post.Im a christian to.and I love to hear about the chanukah and Jewish celebrations.see the old testment concealed Jesus the new one revieled Him.every thing in the old pointed to Jesus.the new saw him face to face.I had book marked your blog one day and forgot to come back and check it out.hope you had a lovely christmas and I wish you a blessed and happy healthy new year.come check out my blog and read my old time christmas storys if you have time.
Belinda said…
Hello to my "Anonymous" friend. According to the booklet, the ransacking by the Greeks took place in 140 BC by Antiochus Epiphanes (I'm pretty sure he was Greek). He came along about 200 years after Alexander the Great made peace with Jerusalem in 313 BC

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family