On Being--Fully

Romans 8:29-30 (New Living Translation)
29 For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And having chosen them, he called them to come to him. And having called them, he gave them right standing with himself. And having given them right standing, he gave them his glory.

This morning I was reflecting on finding the place for which God created us. I believe we all have a place, a role, an assignment and a message and when we recognize it and embrace it, we will fill a spot that no-one else can.

I once heard Pastor Rick Warren, author of the best selling book, The Purpose Driven Life, say that God will ask us at the end of our lives, "What did you do with what YOU were given? Why weren’t you more like YOU?" That made me want to be true to who God made me--to sing my own song with all my heart.

Pastor Rick also said, "Never confuse prominence with significance – they are not the same (nor is success and significance)." I loved that too--the reminder that each person is significant.

A friend told me a couple of weeks ago about a book she had been studying with a group. It sounded like a book I'd like to read. She said that she had an extra copy and would send it to me. The book is, "Cure for the Common Life," by Max Lucado and the sub heading is, "Living in Your Sweet Spot." My friend's husband brought the book in to work for me today. I love it when God does that! The "sweet spot" is what I was thinking about this morning and I just glanced at one of the sidebars that says, "If you aren't you, we don't get you. The world misses out."

Comments

Richard Bowers said…
Hi Belinda,
I'd recommend you stay away from Rick Warren. He denies end-time prophecy and reads the Bible a little too liberally for my tastes. Pastor Warren was also in Syria playing the 'useful idiot' to Bashar al-Assad. There are many others who have issues with Rick Warren as well. FYI of course!
Belinda said…
Hi JC,
When I heard Pastor Rick at the Willow Creek Summit in 2005, his message inspired me to pray daily to God, "Use me."

He spoke of stewardship of money and influence and owned only two suits. From his book sales he had repaid his church all the money they'd paid him in salary in the years he'd served there and he and his wife had decided to "reverse tithe,"--which meant giving 90% and living on 10% of what he makes.

I prefer to leave judging with God, who will judge rightly.

I respect your right to differ in your thoughts.
Anonymous said…
Dear Bel- I've never considered me, who I fully and really am, as something that God had given me. It completely changes that thought-God saying why didn't you do more with what you had been given. I want to be more me, more real, more fully who I am, more than ever now.And, FYI, I think my new job is a HUGE part of me being just that!!Poppy

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family