One Day at a Time

Ephesians 4:22-24 (New International Version)
22You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

I was in the hairdressers--a much needed cut and colour was in process and two stylists and I were talking about our struggles with addictive eating. The funny thing is that no-one would guess by looking at us. The other two girls are much younger than me--both lovely--and they and I are not noticeably over-weight, but we had a bond of understanding. For us food isn't about physical hunger but something else--and we agreed that like any other addiction, it can only be beaten one day at a time.

Just talking to one another about our struggle and encouraging each other, boosted our resolve. I left with a determination to make it through the evening--typically my weak time--and I did--last night at least.

All of us have our struggles, I think--and as long as I am in a body of flesh and bone, with a nature that is a work in progress--my days will consist of both victories and failures in the choices I have to make.

I realize that to some people, a battle with eating may seem superficial--and in comparison with some struggles, that may be--but the principles of overcoming are the same. We need to be honest in facing the struggle; acknowledging it instead of living in denial. Sharing with at least one other person who understands and doesn't minimize the battle, and taking one step at a time, one day at a time, to break self destructive patterns--are key.

Ultimately there is a sense of helplessness even with this.Victory will never be found without making room for Christ to live his life through us, changing us from the inside out into creatures that demonstrate his glory.

Prayer: Lord, I thank you for the hope of ultimate victory and freedom. I am so grateful for your moment by moment Presence and help in my struggles with sin and self. Thank you that you are the God of new beginnings and that no matter how many times I fail, you never give up on me or deny me a fresh start. I'm forever grateful for that.

Romans 8:22-25 (New International Version)
22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, exactly.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family