Gifts

1 Corinthians 12:12 (New International Version)
12The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.

Labour Day felt like Christmas to me--but without the pressure.

In the morning I met with some friends for tea at Starbucks inside Chapters. I brought along a pie for two of them--the biggest and best I knew how to bake, and I came home with a book that looks and sounds really interesting and which I look forward to reading--a gift from one of the friends.

Later, in the evening, I met with other friends to celebrate a birthday in the city. We had a wonderful celebration--Swiss Chalet this time. One of those friends had brought a book for me and a CD--even though I wasn't the birthday celebrant.

Gifts given--pie, books Cd's--but the deeper gifts were the gifts of ourselves. The best gifts we could give anyone.

Our German friend left for the airport between the tea party and supper. As she stood in the driveway before getting into her rental car to drive away, she took my hands, looked into my eyes and said, "Stay who you are." I wish I could remember the German expression she used and translated, but in essence I believe that they are words we should all take to heart.

I am convinced that we all need to turn up the intensity on who God made us and be ourselves for all we are worth--unashamed, unfiltered and undiluted.

There is a great freedom in doing this--in being happy to be who you are and to fill the place that God gives you to fill.

Psalm 139:16 (New International Version)
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

Comments

After coming home from the lunch we tortured ourselves by waiting before trying your pie. I could write an ode to your pie.

She gave us an apple pie
That caused us both to sigh
we munched it down
and crunched it down
So sad to say, bye bye pie

well ... I'm not a poet but you get my meaning
Brenda said…
Your last two paragraphs were written especially to me, Belinda. Thanks for those words. I will try my best to put them into practice. By the way, I love who you are, too. Keep on being you and keep up the writing ministry!

Brenda G.
Belinda said…
Brenda, I was so tired last night when I wrote this post but it was what God gave me to say. I'm so glad that it was for you. It was for me too!
Blessings!

And Dave, Your poem--oh my! :)
Leann said…
Hi Belinda;good post.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family