Faithful

Hebrews 13:5b (New International Version)
5...God has said,
"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you."

I have to confess that I'm hooked. While in England I have been following the progress of the latest X Factor hopefuls, cheering on ordinary people with extraordinary talents, desperate to win this chance at stardom.

There is a fairytale quality to it all, as a choreographer, team of dancers, and their mentors work with them to develop their raw talent into a winning act.

I have sat on the edge of my seat with bated breath, wondering who Simon, Louis, Sharon and Danni would choose--feeling elation with those chosen and heartbroken for those who hear those dreaded words--but only after their hope has been spun out until the very last moment for the benefit of the viewing audience--"I like you, you've got talent, I have to tell you though...I'm...sending you home."

Although I'm afraid that it's the modern day equivalent of public executions--I'm there, watching with the rest of the nation.

I will miss this Saturday's show--I'll be back in Canada by then--but last Saturday I watched as two of Sharon's choices; young female singers, were left to fight it out for last place. They were both the weakest in the show and only one of them could go forward to this week.

Sharon stood between them, having come so far and invested so much in them. They were after all, both "her girls." She was emotional as the host asked her if she had any advice for them. Her trademark seems to be her emotional outbursts ("hissy fits," Brenda calls them) and she stepped back from them as if to wash her hands of it all and said, "Well, nothing I've said so far has helped, so I've nothing to say."

The two singers stood alone on the stage, deserted by their champion, and in that moment, I thought of mine--who says, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

And he never does.

Galatians 2:20 (New Living Translation)
20 My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family