Answering the Call

by Susan Stewart

Let us go up and take the land for we can surely do it! Numbers 13:30

Those were Caleb's words as he returned from scouting out the promised land. He chose to focus on the promises of God and his ability to bring them to fruition rather than on the size of the obstacles. He was confident in God's ability to bring them through, in spite of the negative voices around him.

It's Friday night. I've had a really full week, both at work and at home. I spent an extra long day today, complicated by things like staffing shortages, sewage backups and one distraction (most of them legitimate) after another. The "to do" pile grew far larger today than it was yesterday. I've run out of places to stack things as the piles of paper threaten to overwhelm me. I think they are like Belinda's Amish friendship bread; they keep multiplying and I have no idea how! (I wish I could give some of them away to my friends like Belinda keeps doing.) It's been just as interesting at home this week, with a number of family issues to deal with.

I have been looking forward to the weekend. An invitation to tea with some very special friends on Saturday, some precious time with my teenagers and grandchildren that evening, and a family celebration in Windsor on Sunday. It's my dad's 84th birthday, possibly the last one we will be able to share with him. My sister has organized a little celebration in the party room of his apartment building.

Just an hour ago I received a call that told me my plans for the weekend are seriously in jeopardy. A last minute staff cancellation is leaving us with two giant holes in the schedule. Holes I may have to fill.

I have no idea what God is going to do. I know that my plans are not his plans and that his ways are much higher than mine. I am hugely tempted to fall into a deep sense of disappointment, even to grumble and complain, but I've had enough experience being his friend to know that I will only end up being sorry for that in the end and having to eat humble pie for doubting him.

The challenges facing me for the next few days (in fact the next few weeks) are looming like huge giants. They are not going to win. There's a promised land out there. A land that can be seen and enjoyed only when clothed in a good attitude - an attitude of trust and quiet confidence in a God who loves me and wants only the best for me. I can see that land, a land full of joy. Like Caleb, I'm going up to take it.

"...where morning dawns and evening fades you call forth songs of joy." Psalm 65:8b.

Comments

Joyful Fox said…
Oh Susan,

The promised Land is ours for the taking!

We each have different obstacles to overcome (as you put it , giants) but the land is flowing with milk and honey just the same.

Thanks so much for sharing that post. We're rowing the same boat on a different river.

One verse that struck me in Deuteronomy is,

"Do not fear them, for the Lord Your God is the one fighting for you." Deuteronomy 3:22
Look also at 24 and $:1, 3-4,29,31

Praying for you, sister and lets claim that promised land together.
Belinda said…
I'm praying, and it's a fervent prayer, but not a desperate prayer, because we have a Father who cares, who invites us to call upon his name and who says that when we call he will answer.

Trusting, praying...
I'm praying too, I know what it is to need time away. I know what it is to be at tuesday and yearning, already, for the weekend. May God bless you with overabundance of staff !!

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family