His Eye

Luke 12:6-7 (New Living Translation)
New Living Translation (NLT)
6 “What is the price of five sparrows—two copper coins? Yet God does not forget a single one of them. 7 And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.

We run out into heavy heat of the summer evening, two girls on bikes, one dog and me.

They are briefed before we set out; stay close to the grass at the side of the road; stop and wait at every intersection; slow down well ahead of a planned stop--the list goes on--you get the picture. Even which child will be the lead rider and at what point the other will take the lead is decided. I have learned that these things are best talked about before we set out.

We set out.

Molson trots beside me but we both try hard to keep up with the girls ahead of us and he stops only for the most irresistable of odours tonight. He is torn between two opposite impulses; to walk obediently beside me and his need to watch over the girls ahead.

We run past our neighbour putting out his blue boxes. He recently told me of his own beloved dog who died; a golden named Gatesby, and I call out to him panting, "Two granddaughters and a dog tonight," and he laughs and says that I have my hands full.

Molson and I keep our eyes on them, me shouting out intructions, "Victoria, slow down." Victoria is quick of mind and action and her impulsivity cannot be underestimated.

They listen well as I call out to them. I think of how overwhelmingly I love them.

Molson's tongue lolls out from the side of his mouth, flapping like red flag in time with his steps. In the middle of his tongue is a black birthmark.

We pass long, treed lawns stretching out behind houses; country summer backyards with tire swings and play houses and pools.

Rocking chairs and comfortable cushioned chairs sit invitingly on front porches, surrounded by flower beds in glorious, riotous, full bloom. The richly vegetative smell of fresh mown grass hangs in the still air.

Molson and I notice many things along the way, but never lose sight of the girls just ahead of us.

And I think of who watches me, and you too. There is no comparison with his love, vigilance and care on our behalf.

Comments

Brenda said…
Belinda, You are a saint! I'm sitting in front of my computer with tears streaming down my face. Today was such a black day. I couldn't even connect with God but the song and Piper's words have flooded my soul with hope. Thank you so much!
Belinda said…
Dear Brenda,
Praise the Lord. I'm so glad he wrapped you in his arms and his love.

Hold tight to that hope. Don't let go. He loves you and is with you. And he's watching you.

Sleep in peace knowing he is there.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family