The Christmas Kettle


James 2:5 (New International Version)
5 Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

Her eyes brimmed with laughter. An inner radiance spoke of joy somewhere deep within this daughter of Susan's.


Emily has her own special place in this heart. I love her, and have been witness to the miracle in her of a heart warmed by the gentle hands of Jesus.

She sang on Saturday with the Salvation Army Songsters, in the concert we were at, and afterwards she told me that she had been, "kettling." At first I thought she said, "Cuddling," and wondered what was coming next, but then I realized that "kettling" is a verb in Salvation Army lingo, referring to the transparent globes in which donations are collected now, but which used to be actual kettles.

So I listened as she went on to tell me a"kettling story."

She had been at Yorkdale Shopping Mall; a glitzy mall of vast proportions, packed to the gills with Christmas shoppers, when a man stopped in front of her and looked at her a little strangely. "Are you collecting money?" he asked, then he pulled out a change purse. From it he took 85 cents, all that was in it, put it in the kettle, patted the blond curls on the top of Emily's head and said, "Merry Christmas."

It was then that she realized that he may have a disability of some sort. His heart had no disability though, for he gave all that he had, without hesitation. In all the mall there was not a more generous giver, nor a soul more pleasing to God.

James 2:14-17 (New International Version)
Faith and Deeds 14 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How beautiful is EMILY! Radiant!

This post evoked thoughts of Mark 12:
"...Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins,.. Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."

I go into this Christmas with a bit less resilience that usual, and I know it. Your post reminds me to willingly toss into the pot what I have to offer and let the Lord direct its use. He will muliply the power and effect of it!
Anonymous said…
How beautiful is EMILY! Radiant!

This post evoked thoughts of Mark 12:
"...Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins,.. Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."

I go into this Christmas with a bit less resilience that usual, and I know it. Your post reminds me to willingly toss into the pot what I have to offer and let the Lord direct its use. He will muliply the power and effect of it!
Anonymous said…
OOps, double-clicked.
Susan said…
That's my girl!

When I think of where Emily was just five years ago - so lost - I am grateful all over again (as I am every day) of God's miracle working ability to heal and restore. He changed her broken life into one that is full and rich with purpose in Him. Thank you, Lord!
I find that some people with disabilities just melt my heart in their gifts of generosity, whether it be monetary, time or love.
They are a beautiful people.
Thanks for the story!
Belinda said…
Dear Reformed Anon,
Thanks for honouring us by becoming one of our blog followers. Welcome!! :)
Anonymous said…
these postings should come with a warning that the reader may need kleenex by the time they get to the end of the post, thx, elaine
thanks for the Welcome Belinda! I have read this blog before and enjoyed it!
Thanks for letting me follow your blog! I hope you don't mind that I joined in!
Soli Deo Gloria
Belinda said…
Hello Reformed Anon!
I only just found this comment. I don't know how I missed it, but of course I don't mind that you joined in. Welcome again.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family