Thankfulness

I think to thank, it makes me free
To be unfettered and happy.

It looses bonds and brings a smile
To ponder on good things awhile.

And as I write and read and look up the word 'thankfulness' in my concordance, I see the word 'trust' first. And I realize that thankfulness is bound up in trust.
If I do not trust my Lord Jesus with every circumstance in my life, every one, then it is not possible to be thankful, because I am always micromanaging, trying to control circumstances and outcomes.
However, I am reminded to trust, that I do trust.
A dear new reader, Shelley, at "free to be his servant" wrote on her blog about how Moses' mother had to trust God as she prepared the basket to set her baby in, to send him into the unknown of the crocodile infested Nile and whatever future awaited him. Yet she trusted and God more than blessed, in every way.
So I weave a basket too and release my son, and all the circumstances in our lives that we have no control over, and the ones that we do, and I give thanks to the only One who is able to do exceedingly more than we can even ask or think.

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."
Col 2:7

Comments

Joyful Fox said…
Angcat,

Thanks for the reminder to trust, to ponder gratefulness and in all things, Give thanks.

A great reminder to carry with the day.
Belinda said…
Yes, Ang, thank you.

Every reminder to thankfulness counters the culture of this world, which tells us that we never have enough, and that we need to provide for ourselves in many ways.

Trust and thankfulness are delightful in their oppositeness to the natural bent of people. There is joy in swimming upstream against the flow alongside other brothers and sisters.
Anonymous said…
Yes. People in North America seem to think that happiness comes with more and more and more items or more and more and more successes. I used to write in a gratitude journal every night before I went to sleep (usually about 10 things from the day that I was grateful for). I think this is something that made me the happiest that I can remember. It helps with remembering positive things too, and not just dwelling constantly on what I could/should/would do better, or what I could/should/would get more of.
I think I should start this journal again - thanks for the gentle push, Angcat. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family