A Moment in Time

By Belinda

Last night at cell group we read and discussed, a chapter from Honest to God, by Bill Hybels. The book is a favourite that I've read  more than once. It's one of those keepers!

I like it because Bill Hybels isn't just honest to God, but he's honest with the reader too. I read a chapter in the morning, before taking Molson for a walk and it drew me closer to God than I've felt for a while.

Oh, I haven't drifted from God. I've just hit a stale spot in how I spend my time with him. The chapter Bill wrote on the spiritual disciplines that helped him; helped me. I felt God's presence closer than I've felt him for a while and as I walked along with Molson, I stayed with God, or maybe he stayed with me. Anyway--I could feel his peace.

One of the things Bill suggested was journaling by writing the word "Yesterday" at the top of a page and reflecting in writing on how things went the day before; reviewing conversations; interactions with people etc..

I used to do this faithfully and had forgotten how helpful it was. So tonight I was thinking back over the week and I thought I would share one moment that lingers with me like a beautiful fragrance:

We talked. Five of us in an airconditioned basement office,while the July heat hung outside like a heavy curtain waiting outside the front door.

It was a tough conversation and we didn't rush it. We talked and talked. Eyes glistened with tears at a reality that was hard to face. Through the talking a hard to swallow reality was gradually accepted.

We came to the end of words. Nothing more to be said, just next steps to be taken. It was time to go.

"Can we pray about this?" said my colleague.

The other four of us responded eagerly, "Yes, that would be wonderful."

She led us in a spontaneous prayer, and it brought peace.

I prayed too, then another in the room launched out, "Let's say some Hail Mary's."

My colleague and I are not Catholic but we listened to the prayer, repeated several times, and said, "Amen."

"Now let's say the Our Father," our Catholic friend said.

This time the prayer was familiar, and in the cool, shady room, as we five prayed the ancient words in unison out loud; the prayer taught by the Lord we all love and worship, it felt like holy ground.

A holy moment in time.

WHERE charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.

(From Ubi Caritas)

Comments

Marilyn said…
"Can we pray about this?"...often opens a door for a voice unscripted, unpracticed and exactly what is needed. Love the eager agreement to join together.

Also, the willingness to sit for and "amen" the prayer that is not part of one's traditions. There is something in that. Respect. A unifying grace.

A moving anecdote, this.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family