Carrot Quiche

I have an old Purity Cook Book circa 1974; the year I was 24 and took on being chief cook and bottle washer for a crew of 16 hungry mouths most days--except for when we had company when the count went up to 20. :)

The cook book is well used and spattered but in recent years has sat on my cook book shelf, overshadowed by the newer books that I tend to use now, my current favourites being, for obvious reasons, the Light Hearted Cook Books and Health Cooking for the Rushed series.

But now and again I like to make an old favourite recipe and lately I've been doing that more often. This isn't about an old favourite though, but a new favourite from the old book. I love carrots and cheese and had often thought that I would like to try the carrot quiche recipe. It only took me 36 years to get around to it (I happened to have some left over cooked carrots!) It was so delicious that I will be making up for lost time and making it often. The sweetness of the carrots with the tang of the cheese and the crisp and flaky pastry all make for a delicious, low cost, quick and easy feast.

Carrot Quiche


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
Prepare Purity Pastry (recipe below)
Roll out half and line a 9 inch pie plate.
Trim and flute edges. Do not prick.
Prepare and cook in boiling salted water
       4 cups sliced carrots
Drain on absorbent paper.
Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, pinch of nutmeg (I omitted all of these)
Beat together
      4 eggs
      1/4 cup heavy cream
Blend in
      1 cup grated Swiss cheese (I didn't have Swiss so I used Cheddar and it was delicious)
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (didn't use this)
      Pinch of pepper
Arrange carrot slices attractively (I just tossed 'em in) in prepared pie shell and pour egg-cheese mixture over top.
Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 10 minutes until pastry is golden. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 to 35 minutes or until set around the edges and slightly soft in the centre. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings

(I took some to work with me and ate it cold at lunchtime. It was even good cold!)

Purity Pastry
Measure
      1 and 3/4 cups Purity Flour
Mix in
      3/4 teaspoon salt
With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in until the consistency of course meal with a few larger pieces (I rubbed in gently with my finger tips)
      3/4 cup lard or shortening (or half and half) (I used shortening)
One at a time, sprinkle with
     4-5 tablespoons of cold water (I only needed 4--too much water makes the pastry tough so be careful)
Mix lightly with a fork until dough clings together and cleans easily from the bowl. Chill until ready to use.
Makes one two crust 9 pie or two 9 inch pie shells.

This isn't my normal pastry recipe but it turned out very light and flaky!

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family