Nocturnal Wanderings

By Belinda

It's Friday--my favourite evening of the week. I got home from work and Paul had a movie waiting! We watched Oorlogswinter (Winter in Wartime,) a Dutch film with English subtitles. I had really wanted to see it when it was in the theatres but missed it. It was a lovely surprise to find that Paul had rented it.

The movie did an excellent job of portraying the complexities of relationships within a family and a community in wartime Holland and the young star Martijn Lakemeier, gave a compelling performance.

After the movie it was time to take Molson for a walk; we both needed to stretch our legs. As I bent down to tie my shoe laces, I tried to avoid Molson's wet kisses of gratitude. Then we were off into the warm summer evening.

I had ear buds in, listening to a book on CD as we walked down our street. But hearing a plaintive wail, I took them out to listen. Bagpipes! At the next but one house to ours, someone was practising the bagpipes in the garage. In the dusk of the evening, the notes of a haunting Scottish ballad floated across the fields. I would have gladly pulled up a seat to listen but I am practising not dilly-dallying and that would certainly have qualified.

As I walked, I admired he wild-flowers growing at the side of the road.and began snapping photos.

On into the deepening evening darkness we went. It  made everything look mysterious and beautiful. This is the Bond Head community hall, where fiddle concerts, auctions and art shows are held.




A lighted window in an old and run down house. Finery where you'd least expect it.









And here is the busiest intersection in Bond Head! :)
















When I got home, the phone was ringing. It was an old friend, who long ago stayed with us in the loft room that I am tidying up for Kevin. She called to say that she reads here every day, and although she is happy in her city job and apartment, she said, "I miss trees and grass and cell group" and loves the photos of Bond Head.

Dear old friend, your call made my evening. :)


Comments

Marilyn said…
Wonderful photos, each worth a thousand words!
Belinda said…
Thank you Marilyn, fellow photographer!

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family