The "Bond of Bond Head."

By Belinda

I am dog sitting Molson this weekend, which means I am temporarily Mo-Mo's Mama, rather than his doting Grandmama. He seems to know when the transfer from Brenda to me is made and makes the switch effortlessly. I can't say it's from one Alpha dog to another. We are both too smitten for that and I defy anyone not to be by this golden teddy bear of a dog.

I read somewhere--I think it may have been in Prevention Magazine, that gazing into the eyes of your dog, releases Oxytocin in the brain. I just had to look up what Oxytocin actually is; it is the love hormone !! This explains a lot!

What's not to love? I mean, it's hard not to love a creature who is adoring of you. His eyes never leave me unless he is lying next to me and making physical contact. That means he knows where I am and it's safe to go to sleep. Otherwise he is on alert, head raised at my slightest movement, ready to go where I go. Rob calls it the "bond of Bond Head."

He is happiness on four legs. Every bone in his body is HAPPY. Today I went into the garage to find coolers for the food in our freezer so that I could defrost it. He entered the garage at my heels with body language that spelled  "adventure." What could make hunting for coolers buried somewhere in the depths of the garage fun? Mo-Mo.

And I can't help but think that he is a picture of how my relationship to God could be:

  • My eyes on his in adoration
  • Connected by touch at all times
  • Always looking for what he is going to be up to next in my world 
  • Ready to join him in the adventure
  • Happy just to be with him
Mo-Mo--I want to be like you.

Comments

Brave Raven said…
I received this in an email a while ago and thought I would send it in honour of Mo-Mo:

If a dog was the teacher you would learn stuff like:
When loved ones come home, always run to greet them. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy. When it's in your best interest, practice obedience. Let others know when they've invaded your territory. Take naps. Stretch before rising. Run, romp, and play daily. Thrive on attention and let people touch you. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do. On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass. On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree. When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body. No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout. Run right back and make friends. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk. Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
Belinda said…
Oh...I love it Brave Raven! Thank you! On Mo-Mo's behalf I receive it.
I think I told you about the tee shirt I once saw, 'I want to be the person my dog thinks I am' ... now that's a goal!
Angcat said…
I love this post Belinda.

I love the comparison to our relationship with God, and your descriptions of Mo-Mo just being so happy about being.

:-)
Belinda said…
Dave,I so get that t shirt! :) It's so good for the self esteem to be so adored. Ha ha!
Belinda said…
Whoops Dave, I think I missed the point a bit. The t shirt means actually "being" what our adoring dogs think we are! Of course, yes-oh, to be worthy!
Belinda said…
Ang, yes, we can learn a lot from dogs. I think God put them here to teach us. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family