Life is a Team Sport

By Belinda

I am behind the rest of the world, because the phrase, "Life is a Team Sport," is apparently well used (I only know that because I just Googled it.) But I heard it for the first time this afternoon in an audio book I was listening to, In a Dog’s Heart, by Jennifer Arnold. What Jennifer Arnold actually said was, "Life really is a team sport with your dog," but I latched on to the first part and thought what a cool phrase it was.

Because it really is, isn't it? Life--a team sport.

(A brief digression. You may have noticed that the blog template has a wedding motif this week. That is in honour of Brenda and Kevin whose wedding is this Saturday. Marriage is also a great team sport!)

The phrase, "Life is a Team Sport," made me think of something that I loved when I recently read it in the book, First Things First by Stephen R. Covey. He was writing about the difference between time management that focuses on the concept of time as "Chronos" or chronological time (and what you get done in it)--and that which focuses on "Kairos" or the quality of life (and what you experience in it.) The key connection with today's blog title, was what Covey wrote about how this impacts how we see relationship with others--either through a lens influenced by a chronos view or Kairos view, of time.

He said that in a chronos influenced paradigm, relationships are transactional--more about people as resources through which you get things done, whereas in a paradigm driven by Kairos, relationships are transformational. This is a brief quote, which I highlighted in my copy of the book.
In the very nature of the interaction people are altered. Something new is created and neither person is controlling it. Neither could have anticipated it. It isn't a function of efficiency. It's a function of the exchange of understanding, insights, new learnings, and excitement around those new learnings...
Relationships such as these are rich indeed and I believe it is a glimpse of the way God intended us to be with one another in the world. I believe he meant us to love one another enough to open up our hearts to the potential violence of being trampled upon by a careless friend. Because only when we dare to risk that do we also welcome and share transformation as we expose our weaknesses to one another and hold one another's secrets in sacred and non judgmental trust.

"Life is a Team Sport," doesn't even come close to describing the depth of such relationships. I never was good at team sports. But friendships--with those God has gifted my life with are another matter--these are my team mates for life and forever.

Luke 12:29

The Message (MSG)

 29-32"What I'm trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don't be afraid of missing out. You're my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Together
Everyone
Achieves
More
Anonymous said…
Together
Everyone
Achieves
More

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family