Hanbury

By Belinda

It was a chilly and drizzly day yesterday, but in spite of the sad weather, Rob and I went out with his friends and neighbours, Derek and Shirley, to the Jinney Ring Craft Centre, not too far from Alvechurch, where artisans making violins; handmade soaps; rag rugs; candles; stained glass; blown glass; woodwork and pottery; make and sell their wares.

We looked at the beautifully crafted items and sniffed the air scented with the candles and soaps, but it wasn't long before shivering in the damp air, we succumbed to the comforting warmth of the tea room and viewed our surroundings from the windows while enjoying a hot drink and a freshly baked treat. I chose a slice of Victoria Sandwich Cake--and I knew that Paul's mouth would be watering if he only knew! :) The others enjoyed their own guilty pleasures.

As I gazed past the pond outside the window, around which all sorts of interesting breeds of ducks were scattered, I noticed through the haze, the profile of a church, high on a hill. I took the photo below from the tea room, but then, since we were passing so close to it on the way home, Derek drove us up the steep hill that the church is built on, to have a look.

Shirley stayed warmly in the car, but Derek, Rob and I braved the cold, and the freezing wind that blew without any shelter over what seemed like a bleak and lonely graveyard. Of course, in sunshine and warmth it would have looked entirely different and much more inviting.



It was clear that Hanbury church was ancient, but in one of my all too brief and few moments when the internet connection was working well, if slowly, I discovered that for sure there has been Christian worship on that hill since 660 A.D., as it is mentioned as a "minster" in a charter, according to Wikipedia. However, it is believed that there may have been a church there since the year 400. Here are some photos; the view would have been amazing on a clear day, as you can see here.

We were glad to be back in the warmth of the car and on the way home, where I made Rob and I a delicious supper of the ultimate comfort food: macaroni cheese topped by tomatoes and crispy buttered breadcrumbs.





















Brave daffodils, usually they are in bloom in March here!


Comments

Anonymous said…
Have you bought the laptop yet? Next, have you go Rob hooked up to the internet?
Susan said…
Ooooo! That's what I LOOOOOVE about England. So many adventures to just happen upon -discoveries just waiting to happen - without even LOOKING for them! The place is glutted with them! The church you stopped at is incredible... To think that it has stood as a witness on that hill all these many eons... Thank you for letting us know what you're up to! And the photography is awesome. Love the steeple from that perspective. You have such a good eye...
Belinda said…
Oh, Anonymous, no, Rob is still in thinking mode about the laptop, ha ha! I think it will be a while, and I will be long gone. I wish he was hooked up to the internet, because I would then not have to rely on the dongle that only works when it feels like it! Still it's teaching me patience and sloooowing me down.
Belinda said…
Susan, that reaction made all the agonizing time spent loading the photos, and trying to get them onto the blog, worth it. Thank you for enjoying Hanbury so enthusiastically! :) Yes, history abounds everywhere and there is so much to see and learn.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family